The nights are getting longer, the days colder and the urge to curl up with a good book is getting stronger.
It can only mean one thing… it’s time for our annual Winter Writing Competition!
Once upon a time, before the printing press and spread of books, fairytales bewitched adults and children alike. Magical stories filled with adventure, peril and fantastical characters are still a rich world of inspiration.
So, your writing challenge this winter is to:
Write a 500-word retelling of the Snow Queen!
But that’s not all… this year, we’re running the same competition theme across WriteStorybooks, WriteFiction and WriteRomance, so there are even more chances to take part!
Keep reading for more information on how to enter.
Fairytale retellings are all about choosing a key moment, character or plot point from the original tale and telling that story in a voice that’s unique to you.
You can interpret the theme in any way that you like. In fact, the more adventurous, the better!
The word count for each story is 500 words.
The competition will run from the 1st to the 31st of December, closing at 23.59 GMT on New Years’ Eve.
Winners will receive an Amazon Kindle and a beautiful collection of Hans Christian Andersen’s Fairytales.
The winner and any runners-up will be announced in February 2019.
You can interpret the theme in any way you like, but it must be connected to the original Snow Queen.
How to Enter
This year is extra special, as we’re running the same competition theme across all three of our writing courses; WriteStorybooks, WriteFiction and WriteRomance!
Our competition is open to everyone, whether you’re a student of ours or not.
The catch? Your Snow Queen retelling must fit the genre and tone of the course you’re submitting to:
Remember: the closing date is the 31st of December and the word count is 500 words!
Submit Your Story
As always, our dedicated support team is always on hand to answer any questions.
Stories like The Snow Queen have survived for centuries because they capture a kind of magic that we can’t find anywhere else. Reading lets us experiencing this magic, but writing captures it.
We can’t wait to read what you create — Good Luck!
1. Closing date is 23:59 PM GMT on December 31st. Late entries will not be counted.
2. Stories can be a maximum of 500 words or 2,500 characters.
3. Students can enter multiple different stories but duplications of the same story will be removed.
4. Students may not enter the same story to multiple sites; for example, if a story is published on Write Fiction Books, the same story cannot be entered to Write Romance or Write Storybooks.
5. Text must not have been published, self-published or accepted for publication in print or online, or have won or been placed in another competition.
6. Judges have the final decision.
7. The minimum age for entrants is 16.
8. The winner will be announced in February 2019.
9. Copyright of each entry belongs to the entrant, but submission grants Write Storybooks, WriteRomanceFiction and WriteFictionBooks the right to publish their story on their website(s) and within any promotional material or written publications in the future.